What Causes Back Pain.
Back pain can be the result of a variety of conditions. Most commonly back pain is the result of a strain or trauma. These usually occur from not warming up before starting an activity or overuse of the back in an incorrect posture. Back pain can also be due to disc weaknesses, arthritis, nerve entrapment, joint strains, muscles strains and imbalances, inadequate posture to name a few. The chiropractor can help you with all the above causes and many more.
What to do to relieve your Back Pain
- Book an appointment – have your injury diagnosed and assessed, so you get the right treatment for your pain. The sooner you see your chiropractor the sooner you can get relief from your symptoms.
- Ice – put ice on your lower back and sacrum. Ice is best in the first 48 hours of any new injury or flare-up of an old injury. It is best to use ice until you have seen your chiropractor for a full assessment.
- Anti-inflammatories – Ask your doctor if anti-inflammatory medications or cream can help you. Relieving inflammation around the joints will help to reduce the pain.
- Stay out of the bath – A hot bath is a bad idea. Heat will feel good at the time but will increase inflammation and make your pain and symptoms much worse.
- Stretch your back gently – gently stretch your quads, hamstring, hip flexors and glutes. Go only to the point of feeling a stretch and not to the point of pain. Stretches
- Avoid lifting – avoid doing any lifting, excessive bending and twisting until you have been assessed by the chiropractor. Gym workouts and cross fit should be avoided until you have received treatment and been given the all clear to continue.
- If it hurts don’t do it – listen to your body. If an activity is making you feel worse then STOP. Remember if you are painkillers they are blocking this important message. Take it easy.
- Chronic Injuries – Got an old injury that hasn’t had a sudden flare-up or an episode of pain. Then heat might be right for you. Ask your chiropractor what is best for your spine.
Back pain – How we can help!
Back Pain is one of the most common conditions that we treat in our clinic. After assessing what is causing your condition we offer a combination of treatments. Consisting of a mix of massage, muscle releases, stretches, dry needling, adjustments, manipulations/mobilisations, decompression/traction therapy and home exercises.