What Causes Neck Pain and Headaches.
Neck pain can be caused by a variety of conditions. Strain, poor posture, arthritis and disc degeneration to name a few. Headaches are often caused by strains in the neck referring pain into your head. Headaches can have many other causes such as eye strain, hormones and food intolerances. It is important to get assessed by your chiropractor to find the cause of your pain. Then your chiropractor can tailor a treatment plan to suit your specific needs. Or recommend you to the best health care provider for your problem. At Hands On Health we look for the underlying cause of your pain and work with you to build strategies to keep you pain free in the future.
What to do to relieve your Neck Pain and Headaches.
- Book an appointment – have your condition diagnosed and assessed, so you get the right treatment for your pain. The sooner you see your chiropractor the sooner you can get relief from your symptoms.
- Ice – put ice on your neck and shoulders if the strain just happened. Ice is best in the first 48 hours of any new injury or flare up of an old injury. It is best to use ice until you have seen your chiropractor for a full assessment.
- Anti-inflammatories – Ask your doctor if anti-inflammatory medications or cream can help you. Relieving inflammation around the joints will help to reduce the pain.
- Re-hydrate – make sure you have had plenty of water. Both neck pain and headaches will feel worse when you are dehydrated.
- Magnesium – Magnesium sprays and supplements can help ease tension in your neck and shoulder muscles.
- Keep off the devices – Holding and looking at electronic device such as your phone, tablet or the computer can make your neck strain worse. Aggravating neck pain and headaches. Reassess how you use your devices and avoid them where possible
- Stay away for the heat packs and bath – Heat packs and a hot bath is a bad idea. Heat will feel good at the time but will increase inflammation and make your pain and symptoms much worse.
- Stretch your neck gently – gently stretch your neck. Take it slowly through its range of motion. This will help keep it moving and reduce the likelihood of you getting stuck in one position.
- Avoid lifting – avoid doing any lifting until you have been assessed by the chiropractor. Gym work outs and cross fit should be avoided until you have received treatment and been give the all clear to continue.
- If it hurts don’t do it – listen to your body. If an activity is making you feel worse then STOP. Remember if you are pain killers they are blocking this important message. Take it easy.
Neck pain – How we can help!
Neck Pain and headaches are one of the most common conditions that we treat in our clinic. After assessing what is causing your condition we offer a combination of treatments. Consisting of a mix of massage, muscle releases, stretches, dry needling, adjustments, manipulations/mobilisations, decompression/traction therapy and home exercises.